Thursday 30 March 2017

Stephen Gardener asked a question on Facebook. He asked "will there be guide dogs in heaven"? To which I whole heartedly respond that I believe so. I have no theology to back it up but you won't change my mind on it. 

All this reminds me of what I wrote back in my book in 2008, long before we lost my beloved Abbot.

Oh, yes. And there will eventually come a day when Abbot will no longer be with us. I know that all those who love him will be heartbroken. However, he is like a guardian angel. I know I’ll always feel his presence close by. And then one day I’ll arrive at heaven’s gate and St Peter will want to know why he should let me in. I will have to admit that I don’t deserve it.

He’ll say: “I’m sorry, you’ve been a lair and a cheat.” And he’ll be right. “You’ve been a drunk,” he’ll add. True. “You’ve been bitter and bad-tempered.” True again. “You’ve been unfair to the people of Sunderland.” Ah, yes, I’ll admit it. “I’m sorry,” St Peter will go on, brisk and business-like. “You’re in the wrong place.” Then Abbot will pop his head round the gate and say,

“It’s OK Pete. He’s with me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment