Monday 20 March 2017

Some useful tips.

I neither want nor need your pity. Beer, chocolate and money are fine but please no pity. Read any article about a guide dog owner and it will probably contain the words “tragic victim”. Just remember this is not how we see ourselves and we are not looking for pity. 

Please don’t talk to me about the wonderful compensations of visual impairment. My senses of smell, touch and hearing and for that matter my sense of humour did not automatically improve as my sight worsened. It is true that I rely on them more than you and therefore I may obtain more information in this way than you do, but that is all. 
If you are curious about visual impairment I will discuss it with you but you must remember that it’s an old story to me and I have just as many other interests as you. 

It’s important that you speak to me in a normal tone of voice. You don’t need to shout or address me as you would a child. It’s only visual impairment; it’s not a lack of intellect. It’s important that you remember I may still have enough useful sight to deliver a blow accurately. 

Talk directly to me, not through my friends or companions and especially not through my dog. 
If you ever think that I may need some help, ask me. Let me be the one to decide - and please don’t grab my dog’s harness. To me, my dog’s harness is a sensitive instrument in much the same way that your nose is to you. How would you like it if I grabbed you by the nose? 

Let me take your left arm. I’ll keep half a step behind you so as to anticipate kerbs and steps etc. 
If you should ever have me as a house guest, then please show me the bathroom, the cupboards, the windows and the light switches too, it’s important that I feel orientated just as you do. For my part, I’ll try to behave as well as I can so you don’t feel the need to show me the door. 

Don’t be afraid to use everyday expressions such as “look” or “did you see that programme on TV”. I know that such phrases are accepted as part of our language and I am not some delicate little creature who needs to be kept in some politically correct crèche. 

Always leave doors all the way open or all the way closed, a half open door is a hazard to me. You will often see me sporting various cuts and bruises as a result of walking in to a half open door. 
If you ever have to leave me in an unfamiliar area, make sure it’s near something I can touch such as a wall or a table. Being left out in an open space can be both uncomfortable and disorientating for me.

If I should ever ask you for directions, please give useful instructions such as across the street and left at the next junction. These are a lot more helpful than vague descriptions like ‘over there’. Pointing is of no earthly use to a blind person - yet you’d be surprised how many people still do it. 

If we are in a pub or a restaurant then clear directions to available seats would be much appreciated. While I find my way there, you will have time to get me a pint from the bar. Please avoid the temptation to draw other customers’ attention to the dog (e.g. saying “look, isn’t he cute” etc). This may cause as much embarrassment to the guide owner as saying ‘look at the shiny wheels on the wheelchair’ would cause to a wheelchair user. 

Always be considerate, if you should notice a spot or a stain on my clothing; please tell me privately as you would wish to be told. 

Never refer to a visually impaired person as a “VIP”. This is a particularly patronising term and will almost certainly cause offence and you may not like the response you get. My usual response to the term VIP is “FU2”!

Never ever distract a guide dog when he’s working. You wouldn’t believe the number of people who try to talk to Jarvis as we’re crossing the road. 
Many members of the public think that you should never talk to a guide dog under any circumstances. This is not a view to which the Guide Dogs for the Blind association subscribe. Their advice is that you exercise some judgment. Wait until the guide dog owner is in a place of safety before asking them if you may fuss their dog. 

Approach the owner first, not the dog. Remember there may be a vital reason why the owner does not want you fussing their dog at that particular time. It may be that their dog is somewhat distracted at the time and fussing may cause the dog to become over excited. It may be something much more mundane. Maybe the owner is simply running late and you may not have been the first one to ask to fuss the dog on this journey, after all these are very popular dogs. 
A simple trip to the local shop which may take a sighted person ten minutes can take me twice as long simply because of the number of people who want to make a fuss of Jarvis. 

Sometimes this is fine, and no-one enjoys it more than me. Then there are days when time is at a premium and I need to press on. There have been several occasions when people’s feelings have been hurt because I didn’t have time for them to fuss over Jarvis. 

If you should see a guide dog owner standing still with the dogs harness laid flat on the dog’s back, this may be a sign that they are in difficulties and you could offer to help. Guide dog owners often carry a little sign with the word “help” on it. If you ever see one of us holding such a sign, then please help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment