Saturday 11 March 2017

Let's talk a little about what being a guide dog owner has taught me about faith. 

I remember when I was training with my first dog Abbot, there was a day when Lynne my trainer drove us to the other side of town and left us with nothing but a set of directions and saying she would meet us back at Guide Dogs office in an hour.

This was not my home town and I was terrified. As she drove away I stood on the pavement with that "I'm really stuffed now" feeling, thinking this would never work and I might never find my way back. 

So with nothing but a set of memorised directions and a black dog this blind man set off to find his way across a town that was not his home town absolutely sure he was doomed only to find that 45mins later Abbot had him back at guide dogs office, tail wagging like a demented helicopter. An experience I will never forget.

In all my now 57 years as a ChristianI have heard many descriptions of what faith is. They're all not quite nailing it. 

As a guide dog owner I have learned that faith is hurling yourself willingly in to the unknown trusting in the one that loves you to keep you safe.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I will think of you and Abbot next time I am called to trust. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please may I have your permission to use this post in a church service? Could I also show the photograph of you and Jarvis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Judy, that is why it out there, feel free

      Delete