Friday 7 April 2017

These are strange days indeed. This Sunday the 9th will mark Jarvis's 9th birthday. As all guide dogs retire by 10 discussions have already began about when he might retire and what my needs might be in the future. 

In my mind I still think of Jarvis as very much the new boy but the truth is we've been working together now for 7yrs. 

He has cared for me wonderfully throughout that time, not just as a brilliant guide but also as a great companion during a period of great change in my life. The bond between us is every bit as strong as it was with Abbot before him and it feels like just as we were getting started it is time for the old boy to hang ups his harness. 

Being a guide dog owner has informed my faith life in so many ways and here we are heading in to another significant period of change. I don't know what will happen after Jarvis retires, who knows who the next dog will be or what they will be like but what I do know is that I have complete faith in the process. God has already provided me with two wonderful guides and companions and I'm quite sure he will do the same again.

So I have begun to think of the next 12mths as Jarvis's farewell tour. Watch this space for what events we might be attending in the next year and if we're ever near you get along to meet the old boy before he retires. 


No comments:

Post a Comment