Sunday 2 April 2017

Let's talk a bit about the transition period between Abbot's retirement and the arrival of new boy Jarvis.

By now it must be very obvious just how much I loved Abbot, not only was he a brilliant guide but more than anything he helped me come to terms with my blindness, to be at peace with it. He healed all the anger and rage that I had felt jut by his huge personality, his sense of fun and his protective nature. 

The first few times I went out with Jarvis and had to leave Abbot at home I felt like I was betraying Abbot but the truth is Abbot was happy to retire and let the young pup take on the responsibility. 

My main worry was that I would compare Jarvis against Abbot, such big paws to follow in but I needn't have worried. The truth is Jarvis has an amazing personality too but in a totally different way. Jarvis is the strong silent type, we were never comparing like with like.

Jarvis too has been far more than a guide, he has stood by me some very difficult times of change, his presence always reassuring and attentive.

For one man to have had two such incredible dogs. I have been and indeed continue to be very blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment